View Single Post
Old 03-19-2006, 11:35 AM   #8
angler_2

Default pulling 2720sl through mountains with jeep liberty diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperdan
I am considering various tow vehicle options for a TM model 2720. Has anyone had experience towing with a 2005 Jeep Liberty (diesel)? At sea level and/or in mountainous areas (e.g., the Rockies)? Bottomline: Would I be better advised getting a vehicle with more power? --Dan (TX)
Dan,
We just picked up my 2000 2720sl this weekend with my jeep liberty diesel. It was a 1200 mile trip and all went very well. I was extremely impressed with how much torque the diesel engine had in the mountains. Climbed two passes on I 90 in Montana and only had to jump on it a handful of times to take it out of overdrive when speed fell below 60mph. I did have to slow to a crawl at one mountain pass because there was 2-3 inches of snow and slush and I didn't want to change lanes to pass the 18 wheeler I was following. I am used to towing a fifth wheeler with a 454 Chevy 1 ton and this setup was much easier to tow and I could easily accelerate to pass other vehicles going up hill with no problem at all. The torque on this engine is amazing.

Averaged 25.5 MPG at 80- MPH going (600 miles). 2100-2300 RPMS the whole way. Coming back with the trailer I averaged 20 MPG traveling 65-75 mph for 90% of the trip. I didn't expect the gas mileage to drop this much. Thought I'd get 21-22 MPG but sill this is pretty good. RPMS did change much 2000- 2300 RPMs going up or down hills. When I did put the pedal down to pass trailers on the long hills and it kicked out of overdrive my RPMs went up to 3,100-3,300 for very short periods of time (5-10 seconds). Red line begins at 4,000 on the liberty.

Trailer handled extremely well. You know it is back there but felt no sway and it stopped well going down hill. Made sure I braked before turns when ever I could. I did have to brake slightly in a few curves that weren't very tight and didn't feel anything out of the ordinary. The trailer was empty. I hit a white out, snow storm for one hour of the trip at night and had to slow down to 25-35 MPH to see. With 1-3 inches of wet snow/slush on road the trailer still handled well. It was strange though ...... I noticed that I got less gas mileage when I slowed down in the snow storm .... 18-19 MPG.

Wind was pretty calm going. Coming back I had some 10-20 mph cross winds at times. So wasn't a good test of how it handles in strong winds and when you get the 18 wheelers coming at you on the two lanes.

The only reason I bought a TM was that it was the only trailer that I found with a separate bedroom that I felt that I could tow safety with the liberty diesel because of the short wheel base. Based upon our maiden voyage I was very pleased and I think my wife and I are really going to enjoy this setup. Through rain, sleet and snow and over plains, hills and mountains this rig was a very responsive and easy to drive. We will be able to travel relatively inexpensively even with these high gas prices.

We did get some looks from passing cars once in a while. I think they see the trialer and as they come up besdie you they wonder what is pulling it and are surprised by how small the jeep looks compared to the trailer.

Let me know if you have any questions.I will be taking my TM on many steep mountain roads in Wyoming this summer and I will post how it goes.