View Single Post
Old 12-04-2011, 10:35 PM   #20
Redhawk

Default I love my air bags!

3 or 4 times a year, I tow my TM and carry my 650 lb ATV in the bed of my Tundra, I use a WDH with 1200 lb bars and was never able to get the truck to ride, handle or sit correctly for what I would call a safe ride. It was bouncy, rolly polly and the headlights pointed upward. The truck is not over loaded with the ATV, it's more of an issue of the the weight not being distributed properly and it presents a higher center of gravity, I have not been able to get the ATV into the back seat though, so.... enter AIR BAGS!

The AIR BAGS leveled the truck, firmed up the handling and enabled me to easily align the WDH as it should be. The difference was night and day. The combination of Bags and a WDH works very well for my truck. I LOVE THE AIR BAGS, they do not make your 1/2 ton a 3/4 ton or any silliness like that, but if you do not overload your truck simply because you can, the AIR BAGS have their place and make MY trips safer and more comfortable.

They have the same effect when I carry the ATV in the bed of the truck without the TM. An ATV presents a higher center of gravity back there, so you don't want any sag or bobbing about on the corners. I doubt there would be very few situations when you would need AIR BAGS on a heavier duty truck, and I don't think I would use them on a Ford Exploder either, that wouldn't make sense, but my TV benefits from them greatly. I assume it is softer sprung.

Another plus for me is that when I bring the TM to the house from storage and don't want to mess with the WDH for that short distance, the AIR BAGS are much better than nothing at all.

I don't know why people start going off on them like they are evil or something. Just like anything else, when used correctly and with a bit of common sense, they have their place and can be a VERY good thing. I repeat....I LOVE MY AIR BAGS!