View Single Post
Old 12-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #18
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

happybeebob posted
Quote:
... Not using the WDH (weighs a ton)
Saves maybe 40 pounds above the weight of a non-WDH hitch. But a pair of air shocks, plus all the bracket, bolts, and so forth - weighs MORE than this. So tell me again about the savings?

All of the other weight savings - battery, propane, water - are not related to the tradeoff between air bags and a WDH. You can do them either way.

Quote:
... and then having air shocks put on.
Let me make this plain. In my opinion, NO AIR BAGS!! That's the entire point of this whole thread. Air bags are a net loss in performance. Air bags allow you to stress your suspension, while thinking you are doing a good thing. And using air bags instead of a WDH gives you a net gain in total weight.
Quote:
The next TV will be my last so I will not be jumping at anything just because it is there.
The following is my opinion only! I am also coming up on my last tow vehicle, and I am loooking hard at the new Ford Eco-boost twin turbo V-6. I like two things. First, it has a tow-haul mode, which keeps the torque converter locked, which in turn keeps the tranny cooler. Second, the turbo will make the engine think it is at sea-level, even when it is at 10,000 feet. Since engines lose 3% or 4% of their power for every 1000 feet of elevation, this is the secret to moving the vehicle from "marginal" to "pretty good!"

No air bags. Big letters - NO AIR BAGS!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote