View Single Post
Old 12-04-2011, 06:12 PM   #17
irenepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by happybeebob View Post
Bill:
I remember you saying in one of your posts that the tow vehicle you have is marginal for towing in the mountains.
My 5.2L V8 automatic is also on the marginal side pulling on the grades so I need some advice. This is what I was thinking of doing this coming summer if I do not have a bigger TV by then. Not using the WDH (weighs a ton) dropping off one of the batteries plus the extra propane tank and carrying no water maybe even taking the aluminum topper off and then having air shocks put on. Also keeping everything within cargo limits including the hitch weight. Now I am looking at some 5.9L V8 automatic trucks to replace mine as I do not want to pull the heart out of it but just in case do you think that is a viable temporary solution? The next TV will be my last so I will not be jumping at anything just because it is there.

Bob

I agree that reducing some of the weight by removing "stuff" is a step in right direction, however, I would not skip the WDH as it will do more good than the weight it reduces.

Anyone else please feel free to jump in!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleweed View Post
My original response regarding using caution with air bags was prompted by this comment which is incorrect.
"It's listed as a 1/2 ton truck but when you put several hundred pounds of stuff in the truck bed, it does weigh it down some. I wanted to add more carrying capacity and the air bags, from my info, suggest that it increases the load to 3/4 ton."
As stated many times before, IT WILL NOT INCREASE ANYTHING. It will just make your vehicle "LOOK" like it can handle the extra weight.