View Single Post
Old 12-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #15
happybeebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I guess I am always cautious about glowing advertising statements by someone who wants to sell you something. They may not actually lie to you, but they will mislead to beat the band.

Things like "...best possible ride characteristics under any load condition" are meaningless. In a truck, the ride feels better with any heavy load in the back, simply because the inertia of the load smooths out small bumps. If "ride characteristics" means "your headlights won't point into the sky", then I guess that is right. But that is not what you are trying to do.

Similarly, the statement "... air helper springs are installed between the frame of the vehicle and the suspension, providing load support through the use of air pressure." is also meaningless. Of course it supports the load - but as has been said by several members, it does not reduce the load, and the total load (or overload) is still supported by the bearings/wheels/tires, all of which are heavily stressed and can fail due to overloading.

But I have a feeling I'm not being any more convincing than any of the other posts.

Bill
Bill:
I remember you saying in one of your posts that the tow vehicle you have is marginal for towing in the mountains.
My 5.2L V8 automatic is also on the marginal side pulling on the grades so I need some advice. This is what I was thinking of doing this coming summer if I do not have a bigger TV by then. Not using the WDH (weighs a ton) dropping off one of the batteries plus the extra propane tank and carrying no water maybe even taking the aluminum topper off and then having air shocks put on. Also keeping everything within cargo limits including the hitch weight. Now I am looking at some 5.9L V8 automatic trucks to replace mine as I do not want to pull the heart out of it but just in case do you think that is a viable temporary solution? The next TV will be my last so I will not be jumping at anything just because it is there.

Bob

Anyone else please feel free to jump in!