View Single Post
Old 12-14-2007, 01:33 AM   #8
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Talking Hey, I *OWN* a Tribeca! And a 2619!

But use the 4Runner to do all of our towing. The Tribeca is DW's commuter car, mostly. If you're buying used (as in anything before 2008; ours is a 2007), the older engine needs extremely high revs to generate adequate power for towing, and will need premium gas to do so.

I would not try to tow our 2619 with our Tribeca-- the 4Runner is much more capable for that job, although we both prefer the Subaru's really nice interior and better stereo for driving around town. The 4R also gets nearly the same gas mileage in my mountainous location-- about 19, versus about 21. But because the '07 needs at least mid-grade gas in my hilly, high-altitude location (they recommend premium), the Toyota actually WINS on gas $$$ per mile. And when the time comes, the tires are way cheaper, too. (Both are 2007, less than one year old.)

I know that the 2008 engine is improved and now compatible with regular gas. So it really is a possibility for the 2619-- although the slightly shorter wheelbase is a bit of an issue, the Tribeca is a really HEAVY little SUV, only 120 lbs less than the 4R, and would have less chance of "tail wagging the dog" than other vehicles of comparable size (e.g., Murano, Highlander). Probably better than FightinIrish's "FJ Cruiser" (he's got my better engine/tranny, but 2 inches LESS wheelbase than you, and wheelbase is the most significant issue with both of those vehicles.) I think Dan's taking a very unwise risk with the tiny "Escape".

The 4R drive train is better (especially the Toyota 5 spd tranny); the torque comes on at much lower RPMs, even against the much-improved 2008 Tribeca; the wheelbase is significantly better; the visibility is WAY better; and the frame is very strong. And the Subaru's bigger wheels, with much lower profile tires at higher pressures, are NOT an advantage on dirt roads or pavement in poor condition. You'll also need an upgraded hitch (the Subaru hitch can't take a 2" shank, while both the "standard" V6 hitch and the "WDH" V8 hitch on the 4Runner are perfectly good without further mods).

So, if you can find one you like, I'm recommending a traditional SUV, rather than a luxury-oriented "crossover". Do you need a 3-row 7-passenger vehicle, or is it the luxury/safety which has you focused on Tribeca?