View Single Post
Old 02-25-2021, 10:11 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I won't advise you on the specifics of the 4Runner, since I've not owned or used one. But let me toss a few other things into the pot.

First, a lot of our members tow with 5000-pound rated vehicles, and seem happy with them. I'm sure you will hear from a few of them later today. I am of the uneducated opinion that your manual transmission is a good thing. Automatics, especially of that vintage, have a lot of internal slip, which generates heat. And heat kills transmissions. At some point, manufacturers started building automatic transmissions that lock up, though of course they did it for MPG reasons, not for towing reasons.

Very few 2417 models were produced. You might find one, but it might take a while. So you need to decide on your degree of patience. The 2417 grew a foot, becoming the 2518. Have you taken a look at the Trailmanor.com web site, to evaluate this option?

My first question for prospective owners is always "Where do you plan to tow?" It should be obvious (but usually isn't) that towing in the Rockies or Sierras or even the Appalachians not the same as towing in the midwest or Gulf coast. Since you are located in the west, you will probably want to visit/camp in mountainous terrain, so your tow vehicle will work a little harder, despite the fact that vehicle manufacturers give it a single number.

If you plan to camp in bear country (Yosemite, for example), you must have a hardside trailer. In some of these campgrounds, any trailer that has canvas is not allowed. A TM counts as a hardside, but a tent trailer / pop-up does not. I'm not sure where the hybrid trailers (hard-side upright trailer, but with canvas pop-out bed ends) fall.

I think "operational weights" (what does that term mean?) of a TM are reasonably accurate, but I'm glad you know the difference between "dry weight", "curb weight", and "loaded-ready-to-travel weight". As you recognize, it is always good to pack light. My wife and I pack heavy when we make our twice-a-year cross-country change of location journey, and our TM passes 4000 pounds, I'm sure. Remember that anything you put in your tow vehicle subtracts from its tow rating, pound for pound.

Good luck with your hunt - and feel free to ask more questions. That's what we are here for.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote