Thread: Tire Clearance
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008, 09:28 PM   #10
Goodyear Travels

Well go figure,
Dexter responded to my e-mail and it turns out that I do have the 22.5 degree, #10 axle. Bill & Chap, my torsion arms are also horizontal under the weight of the trailer with minimal additional load. I would have expected some kind of angularity with the 22.5 degree axles. It's beyond my present understanding --- like a lot of other things. Anyway, I will not invest in the 15 incher's until I have added about a 1.5 inch lift. A 2.5 inch lift will cause the AC to hit the garage header. I know, I know ... I can't buy a 1.5 inch lift from TM. Maybe I could hunt down some bar stock or ???

I just realized --- Bill, you said that our Dexter axles require a 3 inch clearance under full load. I do NOT believe that the 22.5 degree axle is providing that --- not even with the standard 14 inch tires from the factory --- at least not on the 2720sl's. As I said --- my existing clearance is only about two inches with only minimal gear and full propane. I set a small bar across the top of tire and measured the distance to the fender well. I wonder what the factory would say about this ???

At least Mogoliver and I have an idea of what is required. Bill, you and Chap have been great. Thanks for crawling under your rigs. We all owe ya. Eric