Thread: 2023 2518 kd
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2023, 02:05 PM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavery View Post
Those lift/drop extensions place a lot of torque on the trailer hitch and lower the hitch rating dramatically. I had a 6,000# rated hitch break while towing a 4,000# trailer with a 6" drop hitch.
Wavery - If I am seeing your photo correctly - and ISTR from an earlier discussion - the part that failed was not the hitch (meaning the ball, the drawbar, and the ballmount), but rather the hitch receiver that was bolted/welded to the tow vehicle's frame. Is that correct? If so, buying a stronger ballmount won't help. It needs a stronger attachment to the tow vehicle.

Quote:
The insurance company refused payment on the claim (the trailer hit another car) because of the drop hitch.
With great respect, may I ask the name of your insurance company? Did they give you notice of any kind that this would be a non-reimbursable situation? It probably would have been buried deep in the verbiage of the policy in a section called "We do not cover ..." or similar. But given that you were doing everything well within the advertised ratings of the equipment involved, it should have been there.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote