View Single Post
Old 01-25-2023, 08:24 AM   #14
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich2468 View Post
Hey Wayne (and others),
It looks like you have both a vent line (exiting through your lower shell walls) and also a toilet tank clean out line running under your tub and down through the floor.

Am I understanding correctly that you do have the sidewall vent? If so, can you share why you have both?

I installed the Sealand tank/toilet combo unit (which I had a floor drain spun-welded onto) and only attached a clean-out plumbed similarly to yours. (I plugged the vent hole of my Sealand tank.)

My thoughts are that the clean-out provides the venting function when not having the water flushing through it to the toilet tank (during cleaning) and when it is being used as a clean-out line I have the outside toilet tank gate valve open supplying plenty of air flow.

In a marine-use it's obvious why the vent is needed- but I don't see how it would be in our camping use with a clean-up.......

Am I seeing things wrong?

Rich and Lynn
2021 2922KB
objective of the vent is to have no positive pressure in the tank so that when we flush the toilet, no pressure is causing splash back when the toilet valve is opened. It also releases methane gas build up.

Also, when we dump, we want a good size vent to allow air to enter the tank as the black water exits. I keep the fresh water flush valve capped (as in the picture). It will not allow any air transfer. Even if it were uncapped, it would not allow enough air to allow proper waste dumping. The other issue is that the garden hose connector is below the black tank. If the cap is left off the tank, I can see black water being released if we tow with the tank full. Methane gas is lighter than air, so there's that. Methane gas would be released into the camper when the toilet is flushed.

Bottom line, I don't think that the small amount of air that might pass through that Camco flush valve would be enough to do what I want.