View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010, 09:23 AM   #5
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

I found ours by doing a Google search on Trailmanor 3023. It turned up on Ebay, and we bought it from a Georgia dealer, who we had deliver it to us in Virginia. This felt a bit dicey, in that who knows who/what can go on out there. The transaction would probably have been safer if we'd gone there to complete the deal, but everything turned out great in the end.

In retrospect, I did a couple things right:
- I talked to the selling dealer on the phone before the auction ended, and we negotiated that I would pay him a $1000 deposit with American Express through Paypal (that's 2 layers of protection for us) and the rest by cashiers check at my bank after an on-delivery inspection.
- I had them email me a copy of the title (I probably should have also just contacted the prior owner, since the name and address was right there, and the phone number was available, and just asked them about the vehicle history).
- I called the Georgia department of motor vehicles and verified that the VIN number was real (they wouldn't tell me much else)
- I called the local police department in Georgia and asked them if the vehicle had been reported stolen they didn't want to tell me anything, either, but I did get them to tell me that they didn't show the VIN number on a list of reported stolen vehicles.
- I called my insurance guy and asked him to verify that it was insurable (apparently they have access to records of claims on vehicles).
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote