View Single Post
Old 02-27-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
Al-n-Sue

Hi Jim - welcome to the forum. Others will no doubt chime in and give you other data points, but I can give you my experience as a starting point. I have a 2003 3142KB so a KS may be a little heavier with the slide out. I weighed my TM before the camping season last year. It weighed 4240 lbs. That included pretty full propane tanks, two 6 volt golf cart batteries, and most of our regular camping gear that we leave in the trailer. It did not include food or clothes or water.

My recomendation for a tow vehicle is to look for one with at least a 5500 lb towing rating. Keep in mind there are lots of factors involved in computing what a particular vehicle will tow. and there are some threads here that deal with that ad nauseum.

I normally get 16-17 mpg in my Durango on the highway. When I tow I get around 11-12 mpg. I think the "1 gal/100 miles" figure may apply to some of the smaller versions, but based on my figures, I'd use 5.8 gals at 17 mpg, and 8.3 gals at 12 mpg.

The key to better towing (and maybe mileage), IMHO, is higher torque. My 4.7 L V-8 is not very "torquey" so I have to get the RPMs up to get the power I need. A HEMI would help!

As for the FLEX vs the Explorer, I'd opt for the Explorer. The FLEX with the top "eco-boost" V-6 engine and towing package rates at 4500 lbs although I've read that it will go up to 5000. The Explorer (according to Trailer Life tow guide) tops out at 7115 with the 4.6 L AWD version.

Hope this helps and good luck with your search.
Alan