View Single Post
Old 01-17-2022, 09:23 AM   #22
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Tymanthius -

You are right - the tow vehicle does send 12-volt power to the TM.

The second is a little more complex. One of our members has designed an ingenious electrical device that boosts the voltage sent from the tow vehicle to the TM, and then reduces it back to the proper value at the point of use. This overcomes the voltage drop in the LONG wire. Although it is kind of elaborate, it works well, and keeps the refrig running for as long as you need it.

The solution you do NOT want is to let the refrig totally exhaust the TM battery. This will harm the TM battery.

Bill
One other solution is to increase the size of the wire running from the TV battery to the TM connector (suggest 8G). Then you need to increase the size of the wire from the TM connector to the TM batteries. Be sure to fuse the charge wires at both ends. Be sure to increase the ground wire as well but you only need to go from the TV frame (through the connector) and to the TM frame.

The problem with using the vehicle's factory wiring is that the factory wiring is too small to send a full 14V from the TV to the TM batteries. There is a lot of voltage drop over long distances and if your TV alternator is putting out 14.8V, the voltage drop over that distance may result in 13V (or less) reaching the TM batteries. That's not enough to keep up the charge on the batteries.

I did this years ago on my 2009 Silverado and 2005 TM. It worked well and my TM batteries stayed charged on long hauls.

The other option is to install about 200W worth of solar panels on your TM. However, that limits you if you are in a cloudy or shaded area.
Wavery is online now   Reply With Quote