View Single Post
Old 03-19-2011, 10:49 PM   #36
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
It's called "Inertia". I said nothing about "lifting the tongue off of the hitch". I said, "the weight of the tongue of the trailer is lifted off of the trailer hitch by the upward thrust"........Inertia.
Ok, I misquoted you here. But the intent of my statement remains the same as yours. The weight of the tongue becomes negative with respect to the hitch. Your reason "upward thrust......Inertia". Once again, a one word explanation. At this point I have to reason that this inertia is imparted by the upward movement of the TV hitch as the TV rear axle encounters a bump and/or the rebound of the WDH bars. Is this correct?

Quote:
I wasn't talking about "Preventing" bottoming out (where did you get that?). I was talking about "Causing" bottoming out by the transfer of excess energy through the use of over-rated WDH spring bars.
Causing bottoming out of what? Again you leave it hanging. The use of higher rated WDH bars can prevent bottoming out of the TV rear axle due to dynamic loading.

Quote:
I'm not sure if you 2 are just being silly or you really don't get it.
@

Quote:
Heavier trailer springs would indeed help prevent bottoming out but they would have no effect on the amount of energy transferred to the tires but that has nothing to do with the discussion.
At what point did the trailer springs enter into this discussion? And FYI the rating of any and all of the springs and shocks in the system; TV front axle, TV rear axle, WDH bars and TM axle will have an effect on the loading transferred to any and all of the tires.

Quote:
The energy transferred from a 1200# spring bar will be double the energy transferred from a 600" spring bar.
I'll agree if this statement is changed to: At their respective maximum deflections, the dynamic load and/or static load transferred from a 1200# spring bar will be double the amount transferred from a 600" spring bar.

Quote:
That is why they have differently rated spring bars.
Spring bars are rated for static load (weight) of the tongue, hitch components and the addition of TV load behind the rear axle. By extension, you can include the dynamic loading on the system if you can quantify it.

Quote:
Help me understand your side of this theory. So far, all you have done is bash me and twist my words. From my point of view, you seem to be purposely distorting what I'm saying. Then again, maybe I'm just doing a poor job of explaining.
I have no interest in "bashing" and "twisting".

Quote:
Are you saying that a 1200# spring bar transfers the same amount of energy to the trailer frame (and frt TV suspension) as a 600# spring bar while traveling down the same stretch of rough road?
No, the dynamic load transfer can be greater using the 1200# but only if the deflection of the bars is enough (over 600#) to transfer this additional dynamic load.

Quote:
Are you saying that is doesn't transfer any energy?
No, There is transfer of load (or as you put it, energy). It's just not as dramatic as you are saying.

Quote:
Are you saying that any amount of energy transferred to the trailer frame has no effect on the amount of energy transferred to the tires?
No, dynamic load on the trailer frame will be transferred to dynamic load on the tires.

Quote:
What exactly is your point?
Your comments about "shock-loading" far overstate the consequences of using heavy rated WDH bars.

A Newbee reading these discussions would be hard pressed to make the right decision while worrying about tire blowouts and suspension damage caused by using the wrong WDH bars. While this decision requires some study, it should not be a make or break situation such as you suggest.

The dynamic loading and shock loading on the trailer tires from direct contact with the road far exceeds the dynamic loading transferred to the tires by the use of a WDH. Your shock-load / energy transfer theory does not stand up to close examination. There is no way that a shock load can be transferred from the WDH to the trailer tires. In fact, I can not figure out how the WDH would encounter shock loading unless it contacts the road surface.

However, I will agree that the use of a WDH causes additional loading on the trailer tires and that this can be a problem with a heavily loaded TrailManor on load range C 14 inch tires.

WDH bars should be selected based on the (tongue weight of the trailer + the weight of the WDH and receiver + the load added to the TV behind the axle) X 1.25. If you google the web you can find this approximation on most of the WDH and RV how to sites. Too much WDH and you could damage the TV or TM in extreme conditions. Too little WDH spring bar rating and you could overload and stress the WDH spring bars. Ride and possible stability of the TV/TM system suffers at both ends of this spectrum.

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote