View Single Post
Old 03-19-2011, 09:33 PM   #35
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
It's called "Inertia". I said nothing about "lifting the tongue off of the hitch". I said, "the weight of the tongue of the trailer is lifted off of the trailer hitch by the upward thrust"........Inertia.

I wasn't talking about "Preventing" bottoming out (where did you get that?). I was talking about "Causing" bottoming out by the transfer of excess energy through the use of over-rated WDH spring bars. I'm not sure if you 2 are just being silly or you really don't get it. Heavier trailer springs would indeed help prevent bottoming out but they would have no effect on the amount of energy transferred to the tires but that has nothing to do with the discussion.

The energy transferred from a 1200# spring bar will be double the energy transferred from a 600" spring bar. That is why they have differently rated spring bars.

Help me understand your side of this theory. So far, all you have done is bash me and twist my words. From my point of view, you seem to be purposely distorting what I'm saying. Then again, maybe I'm just doing a poor job of explaining.

Are you saying that a 1200# spring bar transfers the same amount of energy to the trailer frame (and frt TV suspension) as a 600# spring bar while traveling down the same stretch of rough road? Are you saying that is doesn't transfer any energy? Are you saying that any amount of energy transferred to the trailer frame has no effect on the amount of energy transferred to the tires? What exactly is your point?
A Weight Distributing Hitch is for distributing weight, not energy. Energy and Weight are different things (you may have both Weight and Energy confused with Force in your narrative as well).

There is no theory under discussion that I am aware of here. The hypothesis mentioned earlier that added weight from a WDH on already heavily loaded 14" tires might be unwelcome and possibly related to 2720 14" tire failures is of interest, but this part isn't yours to claim because it's been proposed a dozen times already by other posters on other threads.

The idea that heavier bars could make the problem worse on a bumpy road is both yours and possible, particularly if you cranked the bars to their maximum setting. But, as anybody using a WDH knows, you set the hitch where it works for you, not on it's maximum setting (unless, of course somebody took your advice and bought a hitch that lacked the bar capacity to do the job). I've been curious myself for awhile about the possible differences between 600# bars at max versus 1200# bars at 50%. But with a possible exception for going across steep upward slope transitions, I'm not seeing this as a big deal (if there is anything to this, there should be data, right?).

But the real problem is not hitch bars, but rather the potentially overloaded state of 14" trailer tires and their allegedly high failure rates. So, the fix is really about keeping the trailer lighter or making the tires heavier, and not so much about hitch bars.

Your models for the actions and reactions of the WDH make no sense. Give up on this and work on something else.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote