View Single Post
Old 03-19-2011, 04:46 PM   #33
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlaupp View Post
Please explain the details of the source and mechanics of the upward thrust that lifts the tongue off of the hitch. The only source of lift (upward thrust) on the trailer tongue that is capable of lifting the tongue off of the hitch that I know of is from the tongue jack on the ground.
It's called "Inertia". I said nothing about "lifting the tongue off of the hitch". I said, "the weight of the tongue of the trailer is lifted off of the trailer hitch by the upward thrust"........Inertia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlaupp View Post
You have this backwards. You need a stronger spring to prevent bottoming out. This applies to tow vehicle axles, trailer axles and weight distributing hitches. However, you can overload the hitch and/or tongue with excessive rated spring bars.
I wasn't talking about "Preventing" bottoming out (where did you get that?). I was talking about "Causing" bottoming out by the transfer of excess energy through the use of over-rated WDH spring bars. I'm not sure if you 2 are just being silly or you really don't get it. Heavier trailer springs would indeed help prevent bottoming out but they would have no effect on the amount of energy transferred to the tires but that has nothing to do with the discussion.

The energy transferred from a 1200# spring bar will be double the energy transferred from a 600" spring bar. That is why they have differently rated spring bars.

Help me understand your side of this theory. So far, all you have done is bash me and twist my words. From my point of view, you seem to be purposely distorting what I'm saying. Then again, maybe I'm just doing a poor job of explaining.

Are you saying that a 1200# spring bar transfers the same amount of energy to the trailer frame (and frt TV suspension) as a 600# spring bar while traveling down the same stretch of rough road? Are you saying that is doesn't transfer any energy? Are you saying that any amount of energy transferred to the trailer frame has no effect on the amount of energy transferred to the tires? What exactly is your point?