View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by clan_salmons View Post
Is anyone using an Anderson No-Sway weight distribution hitch?

When we bought our 3023 on from a dealer, I spotted the weight distribution brackets and negotiated the hitch into the deal. I knew a little bit about how a WDH worked and figured it couldn’t hurt. It turned out to be a behemoth with 1200lb bars. On our last trip I pulled into a curved, bowl shaped pull-through on the Blue Ridge Parkway and I realized how much of the TV weight was being transferred to the TM. I have a little bit of corner trim loose and I am concerned that I am over stressing my TM, my hitch and my TV.

The tongue weight of the TM is well within the limits of my TV and it tows well without the WDH bars. I tried this on our final leg home; a winding, steep stretch of road down a mountain I am very familiar with. The only reason I want a WDH is to level the headlights. I don’t have the air suspension option and it squats a little too much. Even though I don’t feel it, I suspect scales would show too much lift on the front end.

I’m about ready to pull the trigger on this, but was curious if anyone else had experience with one. A bit pricier than light duty WD hitches out there, but the benefits are compelling:

Light weight (~55lb with the 4” drop)
Greaseless (the hitch ball rotates)
No creaking
Fully adjustable tension
Shorter hitch to ball distance
Sway control

I’m not trying to start a discussion about how it can/cannot possibly work. If you are interested in that topic I recommend reading this thread:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ead-92131.html
They figured it out at post #581-583. Most of the early adopters are very pleased with the results. Other than making sure the frame mounts are secure and the chain brackets are aligned, this seems like a very elegant solution.

Appreciate your thoughts,
Stan

The fact that your headlights are out of level and it squats too much indicates you have less weight on the front axle than what the factory has spec'd and you need a WDH. Whatever system you use, will help provide a more safe towing experience.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote