View Single Post
Old 04-30-2023, 02:23 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Although Shortcut didn't say so, all of the Highlanders, since at least 2010, appear to have 5000 pound tow rating. So that is probably what Shortcut had. Collective wisdom here on the Forum seems to agree that 5000 pounds is adequate.

We had a 2002 Explorer, then a 2006 Explorer, both V-8's rated at about 6500 pounds. Our WDH was a Reese Trunnion hitch (we never did add the anti-sway option to that hitch). We had 1200 pound bars, which were too stiff. I would have preferred 800 pound bars because we tend to travel heavy, but 600 is said to be adequate for a more common setup. I wouldn't go lower, though. The chain and snap-up bracket on the WDH were perfectly easy to set up and take down, and we never has an issue with it. We kept the cheater bar in the rear bumper compartment of the TM, since we had to get into it anyway to reach the sewer hoses.

When we were camping, we always left the hitch head right on the vehicle, with a rubber cup on the ball to keep grease off my pants. I suppose a lockable hitch pin would have been smart, but I never did it. And we always slid the spring bars and the McKesh tow mirrors under the TM, out of sight. So there was no need to put any of it in the bed of the truck or the way-back of the Explorers. Never had a problem.

We have a different tow vehicle today, so the towing arrangement is different. But if I could go back to those Explorers, I wouldn't do anything different except downsize the springbars.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote