View Single Post
Old 06-30-2021, 05:55 PM   #1
Shortcut

Default Reese WDH Toyota Highlander

Yet another WDH posting from an RV newbie--sorry. Still learning the ropes on our 2021 2720 QB TM. On our FWD Toyota Highlander, we have a TWR of 5000 pounds and a tongue weight maximum of 500 pounds. We had the TM out several times without a WDH and FWD traction was noticeably reduced and I was spotting raccoons in the trees at night. I measured the tongue weight at 350-400 pounds (loaded) and all things considered, we are much closer to the vehicle ratings than I expected.

From the Forum discussions, it seemed that most TM owners were using either the Anderson or Reese 600# WDH. TM Dealer indicated Anderson was suggested, but not necessarily recommended by TM.

In the end, I opted for the Reese 600# WDH system (the Reese 400# unit is undersized for the TM2720--look carefully at the Reese data sheets). Some other brands had spring bars that were too short. Check installation diagrams for allowable distances from ball to spring bar brackets. To make room for the Reese frame brackets, I needed to move the TM breakaway switch forward about an inch, and the safety cable backward about an inch.

Now with the WDH installed, I scarcely know the TM is in tow. Vehicle is level, traction is restored, and handling just right. I never had concerns about sway, but the Reese WDH gives a little more confidence about that.

Now....I need to be really careful about loading and approaching the tongue limits of the Highlander. I know that the WDH adds to the tongue load, but the load distribution is worth it for us. Hope our experience helps others.
Shortcut is offline   Reply With Quote