View Single Post
Old 10-09-2009, 11:21 AM   #5
Digger

I’ve made a couple of trips up and down the Alcan in the winter and this is what I experienced. At night the warmth inside the TM will keep the fresh water tank and kitchen plumbing from freezing. While towing during the day the TM is closed up and there is double and triple wall thickness to help lessen heat loss. After a days drive with the temp only reaching a high of 5 below, there was no freezing inside the TM. The bathroom plumbing is another story. There is a vent under the tub that exposes the plumbing to outside temps and it will most likely freeze up, especially while towing. I installed shut off valves on the water lines between the kitchen sink and bathroom so I can drain those rear lines and just use the water in the kitchen. You can always open them up for a quick shower then close them and re-drain the lines but there is a good chance the outside drain valves will be frozen if it’s really cold out. If you have AC power a hair drier works to thaw them. I use two gal. of –40 windshield washer fluid to prime the toilet, cost a lot less than RV antifreeze and works great and that is one thing you don’t want to freeze up and break.. I also use a dishpan and toss the water rather than use the drain where the water will freeze in the holding tank. I like to use a propane coleman lantern for light, it saves battery power which is important if you’ll be running the furnace all night and it gives off a surprising amount of heat, an added bonus. The important thing is to start out with a warm TM. When you first start out, put an electric heater in the TM before you close it up and let it run over night and don't unplug untill you are ready to go.