View Single Post
Old 01-15-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Hokie View Post
The wife and I are considering buying a truck to add to our vehicle stable. A key consideration is of course using it as our TV instead of the Sienna. While the Sienna "works", I would prefer a more robust vehicle be assigned the duties.

We are leaning towards a V-8 Tundra 4x4 but would be interested in hearing what others think. We looked at Fords and Chevys but it seems like you get to 40K in a hurry if the websites are accurate whereas a similar Tundra looks to be 5K cheaper.

Any opinions out there?
Just curious why the 4X4.......most people that have 4X4s in California seldom or never use the capacity.

4X4 adds initial cost and weight. It also adds susceptibilities to problems. I have no problem with 4X4s but IMO they add an additional risk factor with little return unless you travel in snow areas or off-road.

We bought a 3-year-old Silverado last year for under $11K. I have the original window sticker on the vehicle and it was $32K new and it has about $3K in add ons. It's in "like new" condition and we have towed about 4K miles with it already with zero issues. Used trucks are going for a song. If you're careful, you could save a lot more money than you would ever spend in maintenance.

BTW, my son has an '08 Tundra 4x4 V8 and he gets about 9MPG towing his 21' TT and about 15MPG going back 7 forth to work. My Silverado gets between 16-17MPG towing. I don't know what the mileage is non-towing because we use it exclusively for towing.