View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 09:03 PM   #6
PopBeavers

My thoughts, based on what I have read on the topic since March 2005.

Any battery with a CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) rating is not a good choice. That is a car battery, or maybe a hybrid battery. A yacht needs a hybrid, because it is used to start the engine and run the lights. You only need to run the lights.

You want a deep cycle battery. You could settle for a hybrid (RV/Marine) battery. Deep cycle batteries will sometimes be found advertised as a battery for a trolling motor. Walmart is a good place to look, I hear.

Costco has a decent battery that is at a pretty good price, from what I hear.

A very popular battery for serious boondockers is the Trojan T105. This is a 6 volt battery, so you would need 2 to get 12 volts. They are pricey.

My actual experience is that I have a pair of Interstate RV/Marine group 24 batteries, 12 volts. Purchased new in March 2005 and still performing well. I can go, at most, 3 days before needing a recharge. If I use the furnace they only last 2 days.

You do not need a battery charger to go dry camping. Start the generator and plug the TM into it just like you would at home. The TM (most at least) has at least a decent charger built in to the converter. This is what you probably do at home, so you know how reliable it is.

As a general rule of thumb, if you want to know how long a battery will last, weigh it. The heavier the battery the longer it will last, due to the weight of the lead. I have never tested this theory.