Thread: Cassette Toilet
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2020, 06:55 AM   #4
ThePair
TrailManor Master

I have successfully swapped my Thetford for a cassette (Curve). There were a few reasons for my decision, but smell, interestingly enough, wasn't one of them.

If you have any minor skill with a saw (to build a small platform) it's actually an easy swap. I posted to a thread somewhere about it, but basically you just need something to cover the left-over plumbing in the floor, and that's it. There's a base plate that just screws down to the platform, and then the Curve locks onto the base.

Yes, it does mean I have to manually tote the base to a toilet once per trip, and once when I get home, as the cassette usually lasts my family of 4 around 4 days-ish, whereas I would get 5-ish out of the Thetford. But I have the freedom to dump into any toilet, or pit toilet, or (carefully) sewer outlet that's available without having to resort to a "blue boy" or moving the TM. This means, when we have an outing with multiple kids or families and we are the only ones with a camper, we can let the kids all go potty in our rig (usually at night) so they don't have to track down to the outhouse/bathroom. There were some trips where I was very, very close on filling the Thetford, and now that is a non-issue. Plus, we've found it easier to keep clean since the whole unit can be removed.

As mentioned above, there are many who don't want to tote--and I now don't have that as an option. There's always a trade-off with everything, but for me this was the right decision and I don't regret it for a second. It all really depends on your use of the TM and your desires as a camper. But it isn't a particularly difficult install/swap so I wouldn't let that deter you.

I would take the above advise and try the Thetford for a while before making the decision. It took us more than 5 years before we decided to swap.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote