Thread: Cassette Toilet
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2020, 06:25 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I'll second Larry's thought. Please don't think of replacing your toilet unless you feel you really need to. Use it for a while first.

Most of our members, including me, are happy with the Thetford. Those who are not seem to be split between those who find an objectionable smell, and those who simply object to an "Ick" factor. The "Ick" factor is hard to deal with. However, there are several things to do to reduce any smell problems.

1. Use a good deodorant. You may need to experiment to find one you like. My wife and I have always been satisfied with Thetford's CampaChem Original Formula liquid. Because it has worked for us, we have not tried other brands, or dry powders, or any Eco formulas.

2. Use a full dose - don't try to economize. For us, a half bottle (4 oz) is OK for a quick overnight stop, but a full bottle is better for any longer.

3. Flush long and hard - maybe 10 seconds after everything in the bowl has been swept away. The toilet is not like a household toilet, where a quick push of the lever is all that is needed.

4. Keep the toilet lid closed!

5. Keep the bathroom door closed if you have any problem.

6. Use the bathroom vent fan for a short while if you have any problem. It uses almost no electric power, so shouldn't be a problem even if you are boondocking.

7. Consider Flyboy's toilet vent fan that Larry referenced. Find his writeup at
https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...ad.php?t=19938

A few members have actually done their own installation of a cassette toilet, or a flush toilet with a built-in tank such as the SeaLand M-28. You can find their very good and helpful posts by using the Forum's search tool. The job is not for the faint of heart.

Finally, you may run across information or specs from the factory saying that a cassette toilet will be an option in the new TMs. My info says this is not going to happen, at least not right away.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote