Thread: TV Purchase
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #27
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Actually that's a turbo advantage not restricted to diesels (which are usually turboed). I understand Ford's Ecoboost 3.5L V6 with two turbos has the same high altitude advantage. It also has similar low-end torque as many of the German 3L V6 diesels in their SUVs. But is less fuel efficient.

Unfortunately, the German diesel SUVs are equipped and marketed as Luxury vehicles and priced as such. I'm waiting to see how the Jeep/Chrysler/Fiat V6 diesel will be priced. I suspect that in the Grand Cherokee it will be way over $50K.

I hadn't heard that the diesel will be available in the Durango. But there are rumours that it will appear in the Ram pickup.
50k is a lot of money.

In the fall of 2008 I bought a brand new GMC 2500HD, 4wd, z71, gas, crew cab, long bed, tow package for less than 30k out the door.

I might be willing to pay an extra 1K for diesel, as long as it gets better fuel economy than gas under all driving circumstances (going to the store with no cargo). I also require lower routine maintenance costs (oil change, tune-up, etc.)

In a perfectly matched situation, the engine blows, requiring a rebuild, at the same time that the body rots out. For me, body rot and engine failure both occur at approximately 200k miles and 18 years on the road.

I think that for GM if you get diesel instead of gas then you also need a more expensive transmission. Yet more overkill for a TM.

My brother has a Chevy 2500HD diesel with the larger transmission. He is retired and does a lot of traveling, 7+months per year on the road. His 5th wheel trailer weighs around 12k pounds loaded. I think diesel is very appropriate in his situation, especially towing over the Sierra's and Rocky's.
As I am currently configured, I am probably in the overkill category already. I don't see any value in yet more overkill. Unless I start taking more stuff with me.