Thread: TV Purchase
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 11:04 AM   #25
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToCamp View Post
Since you are considering the Durango, I would also suggest looking at the Durango with the 3.0L diesel engine. It is said that it will be available in the 2013 models.

I have a 2007 Grand Cherokee (same chassis as the Durango) with that diesel. I traded my 2004 Grand Cherokee with a 4.7L V-8. Huge difference in towing ability! The diesel also gets better mileage than the 4.7L V-8.

We also have a 5.7L Hemi V-8 Grand Cherokee. The diesel tows much better than the Hemi, also. Plus, the mileage is much better in the diesel than the Hemi. Since you are looking at the Durango, I would strongly encourage you to consider the diesel. Fuel has been cheaper than regular unleaded lately, but you have to watch. There is a difference of as much as $0.40 per gallon for diesel at the different stations around town, even when I am buying it for less than unleaded at some stations.

I didn't think I would be a diesel advocate, but I am a convert. I won't consider anything else for a TV in the future, if I have that option.

Well, as I am reviewing the posts, I see that I have missed an entire page, and that you purchased the Hemi Durango. Much better choice than the V-6. But, I will leave this post here, as I do want to encourage anyone else considering a tow vehicle, to consider a diesel. I am very happy the salesman suggested it!
I considered a diesel, but decided that for my application it is overkill.

I drive 7,500 miles per year. Half of that towing. The other half empty driving around town going to the hardware store.

Diesel has a higher up front cost.
Diesel has a higher annual maintenance cost.
Diesel fuel, though you may get better mileage, costs more so do the math carefully to determine dollars per mile.
Diesel is slightly more difficult to find than gas. This is mainly an issue in small towns away from freeways.

After all of my research I concluded that diesel is an advantage when:

towing heavy
towing at high altitude
towing a lot more miles that I ever will