View Single Post
Old 10-15-2010, 08:05 AM   #4
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
My driveway is inclined such that I back the trailer uphill. I made two 6x14 wheel chocks out of a 6x6 and 6x8 bolted and glued together. After I joined them, I went to a wood shop and had them cut an outline of the tire so it will snug up against it. The chock goes above the halfway point of the wheel, so there is no way the TM can run over it.

The chocks obviously go in front of the wheels. In front of the chocks is an 8-foot 6x6 that spans the width of the trailer. In the part of the 6x6 that is directly in front of each chock is a bolt that I drop through the 6x6 into a ~1/2" hole I drilled in the driveway, which is concrete. The bolt just slides in there, and you can remove it with your hand when you release the pressure of the trailer. Thus, the chock is not only braced by friction against the driveway, but it is also held by the sheer force of the bolt. In order for the chock to slide, that bolt has to break, and there is no way that is going to happen.
wow. "SuperChocks" indeed.

And yes, for additional security get rid of the Tongue wheel and use your trailer jacks. That will also take some weight off the tires which is supposed to be good for them.