View Single Post
Old 09-11-2006, 02:40 PM   #15
Ted Chance

Default Inquiry to Jon and Rita as to towing with an 03 Tundra

Hi,

This is my first post to the TM Owner's forum but not my first visit. My wife and I are seriously considering a 2006 or 07 3124KS, and I happened to notice a posting by Jon and Rita that you are towing a 3124 KB with an 03 Tundra, precisely the vehicle we plan to use. Ours is AWD with the V6 and a 5000 lb theoretical towing capacity. Considering fudge factors for fluids, combined vehicle weights, passengers, etc. and the actual weight or our truck, I anticipate a comfortable towing capacity of about 4700 lb. Having done the math as to dry weight of the 3124 KS, fluids, hitches, clothes, gear, furnishings, etc., I believe we will remain comfortably within that margin. However, we live on an island in Alaska and our routes out (after a trip on the ferry) involve significant mountain grades, and much or most of our travel will touch the mountainous west. With all these considerations in mind, I ask your impression as to how your 03 Tundra has performed, especially if you have the V6.

My wife and I are flying to the lower 48 this week to look at TMs along with a few other campers of interest though we are not going to buy until we are ready or precisely the right deal lands on our doorstep.

Thanks very much!

Ted Chance
Sitka, Alaska