View Single Post
Old 10-24-2005, 09:09 PM   #11
BobRederick

Brian

You have a real fixer-upper there IMO. I wouldn't pay much for that one at all myself. Maybe $500 or $1000. But I'm a little past the age of wanting to spend so much time fixing one up. I prefer to work on a late model and upgrade that where I can take it out at any time. A chap did buy ($400) & repair such a project and I found his story below by googling "trailmanor repair". I don't know if you are looking at this much work, but he had to replace a lot of wood as it had turned to putty due to water sitting between the inner and outer walls of the shells. Some job. He describes how he supported the top while working on it and how he got inside and replaced the square wood with square tubing. Lots of great photos including materials and views of the inside of the shells.
http://members.aol.com/br768/ind3.htm
With the shell integrity broken like this one shows, I suspect you will be in this guy's shoes. I don't remember how far you have to move it, but I suspect it won't roll down the road without new tires. Brakes, bearings, and axle grease are other things to check before bringing it home or you will be stuck on the highway with a frozen bearing. This is a project my son would like to tackle!

I suspect it may smell inside due to water damage as well. Frankly, I love the smell of my TM (whatever that smell is!!).

Have you done searches on the sites shown on the home page of this site? You can put on there the amount you are willing to spend. I did that to complete satisfaction last year, then spent 2 weeks in a grand vacation to get it and camp in it on the way home while visiting friends and relatives. Winter is a good time to find a good deal in the Northern climate states.

Best wishes on whatever you decide to do.