View Single Post
Old 03-26-2014, 05:34 AM   #11
dallen1x

Quote:
I can't imagine it can handle the weight.
It can handle the trailer weight but...
The Edge has a tongue weight limit of 350.
Here's what I found concerning the TMs:
TM 3326 (3520lb / 486)
TM 3225 (3080lb / 470)
TM 3124KD (3185lb / 490)
TM 2417 (2280lb / 320)
So this info on tongue weight is pushing me down into the range of the 2417 model. Sad for me.

Quote:
Wow, that is really not good. Towing 3500 lbs without brakes is not only unsafe, especially in a marginal tow vehicle, but in every state where I've read such regulations, IIRC, it's also illegal.
Oregon has such a law but it is for vehicles over 8000lbs.
The Edge w/3500lb trailer is under that limit. No brakes required. Needed on the trip that I used the Edge for previously?...no. Want them for where I plan on going with the TM?....yes.

You guys would be surprised what the Edge can do.
It's wide, heavy, stable, good on fuel and it's closer to a small truck than you might think.
The 4.7L V8 Tundra (weighing around 5520lbs) has 245hp & 315 lb-ft of torque.
The 3.5L V6 Edge (weighing around 4050) has 285hp & 235 lb-ft of torque.
The 3.4L V6 Odyssey (weighing around 4396) has 248hp & 250 lb-ft of torque.

These cross-overs and minivans are not that far away from todays smaller trucks.

Yes, every TV (be it a 5 ton military truck or a little VW car) that I've driven was either bigger or heavier (or both) than the thing being towed. This isn't my first rodeo. But, I don't want others without experience to get the wrong idea about towing. There are plenty of videos and stories out there concerning accidents when the rigs are not used correctly or some other issue jumps in front of you so please be careful.

By the way, this would be something the DW would be driving so you know it has to be safe.
This whole thing started with the question about how to reduce the weight...
See, I want it to be safer because the longer models that I like are to close to the limits of my TV. But I still want one of them.