View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010, 04:39 PM   #1
LiveTicker

Default Entry Handle for handicap (and the rest of us)

Grandpa needed a sturdy handhold at the door.
The only logical place to put a commercial style handle is to the left of the door on the upper half.
But I didn't want to drill support bolts thru the (foam?) wall. Also the commercial handles are not tall enough for all the heights he needs to grip.

Here is my solution:
A four foot long dowel 1-1/4 wide. (from Home Depot) clamped to the shell uprights. (see photos).
I just loosen the wing nuts, lift left side of rear 9" bar, pull bolt toward me, drop 9' bar down,
and pop the whole thing off. It's very sturdy. I store it in the camper.

Construction:
Top horizontal clamp: 13" front and 9" rear 2x3's
Bottom horizontal clamp: 10" front and 9" rear 2x3's
The vertical strips are 1x2's 4" long.
The vertical 1x2 strips are EXACTLY the same thickness as the metal torsion bars and serve to lock everything in place.
The railing is offset further from the camper by 2 pieces of two inch 2x3's. (so hand can get around dowel)
Left side of each 9" rear I cut a slot from bolt hole down for swing-away feature. (Don't have to remove bolts).
Other parts: 4x 4-1/2"x1/4 bolts,washers,wing nuts. 3 or 4 Two Hole Straps from EMT pipe supports. Screws

Changes if I ever make another:
Longer wood on left sides of horizontal clamps for more strength on notches. Also it could hinge on left.
Maybe instead of the EMT straps - drill straight thru dowel and support, use a bolt. Then everything swings down along the dowel for easier storage.
Paint.

More Photos:
http://s849.photobucket.com/albums/a...ntry%20handle/

ps. Watch how many able-body people also use it. <grin>