Thread: Wheel Bearings
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2012, 07:31 AM   #5
malcolm4536

Default bearings

i went into O'reily auto parts and showed them the 2 bearings if there is someone in there with intelligence they will go to the back of a certain bearing manual and you have a choice of american made bearings or made in china, the american ones take 2 weeks to get they are much harder and should last longer. in your dexter manual they have the bearing part numbers and there is a kit available for those bearings and you save 25 to 30 dollars for ordering the bearing and seal kit. i got the china version and i will replace them this week, i put 2000 miles on them and they did produce a little slack, but they did run cool after running 75 plus miles per hour with the trailer for 300 plus miles. i have noticed if the bearing has a small amount of slack(just a tiny bit of click when you move the tire off the ground) the bearing runs 30 to 40 degrees cooler, for me i was afraid to run a bearing with so much slack and i was used to running them tight. i ran 1 side tight and 1 side loose and the loose side was 30 to 40 degrees cooler. the walmart grease is half the price anywhere else.