View Single Post
Old 03-30-2005, 08:21 PM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Ray -

I fully agree that this solution is worthy of Rube Goldberg (and I'm wondering how many people on this board are too young to know who Rube Goldberg was!) Thanks for the link - I'm enjoying it. But entertainment value aside, we all agree that running 110VAC around is, as Bert said, a bad idea.

Running a separate wire from the tow vehicle battery to the Bargman connector is clearly the right idea - except that I am unwilling to cut open the weather seal on the back of the molded Bargman. Once open to the weather, these things cannot be resealed (in my experience, and I have tried), so the connections inside corrode like mad. I would do myself a disservice to open it. So that means finding someplace upstream, in a weathertight location, to make the connection. Although it would be better, part of the advantage is immediately lost. Incidentally, that is the next step in my MASTER PLAN.

Bert - I have also considered your approach of running a separate wire from the tow vehicle battery to the refrig. It would work great, and solve all the problems - except that it would require a new one-wire connector located at the trailer hitch. Again, a kluge.

The interesting thing is that (in my case at least), I don't recall having this problem when my TM and tow vehicle were new. Something has changed, or perhaps I have become more aware of what is going on. If I ever get my TM back from its new home at the repair shop/aka dealer, I will make some new measurements and post them. Should be interesting.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote