View Single Post
Old 03-30-2005, 12:03 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hingarfi
I have read most of the posts regarding driving with refrigerator on (12V) and arriving with a LESS THAN FULLY CHARGED TM battery (due to voltage (12A refrigerator) drop between the TV alternator and the TM battery I am convinced).

So my next request is for comments on the following:
Starting my trip with a fully charged TM battery.
(a) I pull the fuse in the TV which supplies 12V to the 7 pin trailer connector.
(b) I install a 110VAC inverter in TV (say 500w)
(c) While travelling, I connect output of inverter to TM (as in shore power)
(d) I Run the TM refrigerator on 110VAC (I'm guessing 200 watts)
(e) The TM battery will be charged by the TM converter.

Seems this would allow me to arrive with fully charged TM battery.
This should work. In fact, Bob Rederick and I have discussed it at some length, since we are among those afflicted with ARRIVE WITH LOW BATTERY syndrome. I have been getting ready to try it myself. Please post your results as soon as you have some.

Since your very first step was "a) pull the fuse in the tow vehicle", you undoubtedly understand the potential problem if you don't do it. Let me emphasize for anyone else, though, that this step is vitally important. It is not optional! If you power up the TM's converter from an inverter in the tow vehicle, you MUST interrupt the 12-volt line from the tow vehicle to the TM.

Another way to approach the problem is simply to bring 110VAC from the inverter directly to the refrig compartment. Unplug the refrig from the TM's AC power system, and plug it (and nothing else) into inverter power. This means that
a) you don't need to remove the fuse in the tow vehicle
b) with the refrig running from AC power, the 12-volt load in the TM is nearly zero, which means that the tow vehicle will, in fact, charge the TM battery. As Ray points out, it is not a very hefty charge rate, but if you start with a fully charged battery, it is more than enough.

By the way, you are right about the fact that the large load (the refrig) causes a voltage drop. I made (and posted) some measurements a while back.

Using an inverter to power the refrig is really a pretty crappy band-aid fix. Although I will do this temporarily, no one should have to do it for long. The problem is NOT in the TM, by the way, which is properly wired. In my case, part of the problem was due to a damaged Bargman 7-pin connector on the tow vehicle, and part was due to the fact that Ford used some lightweight wire in the 12VDC line from the tow vehicle alternator to the Bargman connector. I have replaced the Bargman, but haven't had a chance to assess the difference, if any. If necessary, I will run a new wire directly from the alternator to the Bargman.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote