Thread: Engines.......
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2003, 09:28 PM   #2
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Default Re:Engines.......

Most engine oil coolers are air cooled and mount in front of the radiator. You can get an air cooled unit with a fan to mount under the TV if there is no room in front of the radiator. The aftermarket coolers usually are connected to the engine by a pancake adapter installed between the engine and oil filter. The biggest problem with this is the routing of the hoses. Be sure they do not contact the exhaust manafold and that they clear the maintenance areas. The one on my Trooper is routed over the spark plugs and makes changing them a real headache. Most oil coolers do not drain the oil back into the oil pan when the engine is turned off. About 1/2 to 1 quart of used oil is retained in the cooler through each oil change. This does not hurt the engine. I would add an oil cooler if I had the chance that you are presented with. Be sure to run the engine after the oil is in, shut it down, check the level and top it off to make up for the oil retained in the cooler. The oil cooler will only "rob the oil" the first time after installation.
MJL
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote