View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 06:49 PM   #1
Virginia Deacon
TrailManor Master

Smile An Ounce of Prevention

Replaced my six-year-old Goodyear Marathon tires, today. Had high-pressure, truck tire valve stems installed, instead of regular stems. Mechanic said those stems "last forever." Also, had both tires balanced. The original spare tire had only a couple cosmetic marks, and we agree not to replace the spare.

Mechanic pointed out that both tires had six-inch tread separation; could have failed at any time, he said. He also showed me two Goodyear large, truck tires he recently replaced; one had completely lost its tread, and the other was looking pretty shabby. He said the owner asked for an adjustment, because "we have only had these for six months." Owner said they were on a trip and needed to replace their old tires. These, she was told, were just what she needed and the price was right. The mechanic checked the date the tires were made and discovered they were eight years old when she bought them as "new" tires. It's against the law to sell eight-year old tires, my mechanic said.

Lessons learned: I verified the manufacturing date on my the tires I bought today; will do this every time I buy any tire for my vehicles. I plan on having the TrailManor tires removed and inspected for flaws every year, when I have the TrailManor inspected by state law. I'll continue to check tire pressure, rim torque, and drive at 60 or less when towing the TrailManor. And, I won't wait six years until I replace these new tires.

Thanks to all on this forum who have provided money-saving, TrailManor saving, and - maybe - life-saving advice about tires!
Virginia Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote