View Single Post
Old 09-20-2007, 01:46 PM   #3
becamping!

Default Buying a used TM

We purchased a used 1999 TM which was well taken care of - we just took a chance rather than testing each system. For the most part everything was perfect. There are some things that even an honest person may not know about to disclose:

Some examples:

1. The pump worked but did not pump water because the seals had rotted. Ask them if they ever dry camped. If not, water may not have been run through the pump. A new one was about $90 and easy to install.
2. Tires - they looked great but were original - we had to replace them (after a blowout that cost $$ to fix) I say replace the tires if they are over 3 years old because you don't know if they were overloaded or run low. Keep the new tires maintained (air pressure)
3. Adjustments - we paid a dealer $300 to adjust our TM, not sure if that was necessary. They also upgraded the shell latches, again just an optional upgrade.
4. Brakes / Bearings- the seals were broken on our bearings and grease filled the brakes - about a $300 repair for brakes and bearing seals.
5. Battery - never had been replaced so we bought a new one $75.

I say go ahead and test the systems before you buy. Plug it in and test electrical, test gas appliances. It is worth the hour of effort, and anything you find wrong should come off the price (although it seems like a steal to me)