View Single Post
Old 01-26-2021, 09:15 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Shane -

Your link goes to a device called a Hott Rod. I had heard of it, but never really looked at it. Interesting device, and I think a nice inexpensive solution to the OP's situation, assuming he can't get the gas burner going.

I think there are a couple things that should be considered before buying one.

o The Hott-Rod has an adjustable thermostat, which may be a nice thing. The gas/electric Suburbans have a fixed thermostat.

o The gas+electric Suburban 6-gallon water heaters use an electric element rated at 1440 watts of heating power. The Hott-Rod is rated at 400 watts. (One reference says 450.) This means it will take almost four times as long to heat the water. You have to decide for yourself if that is acceptable.

o Since it installs into the opening that was used for the anode rod, you lose the anode rod function.

o My big question is where you mount the thermostat. It is a metal-and-plastic block that MUST be mounted tightly against the metal surface of the tank. You have to cut away the insulation to do that. Apparently it can be done, since the Hott-Rod advertsing says it is compatible with Suburban units - but it is pretty crowded in there. Be sure you have some idea what you are getting into.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote