View Single Post
Old 02-21-2015, 09:08 AM   #20
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
I chose 205x75r15 LRD rather than 215 or 225 for this reason & still there is occasional rubbing on excursions ... I have another plastic wheel well liner and one of my projects is to remove the original liner ad see if I can reshape the opening for a little more clearance.
I have always wondered - and perhaps this is the direction you are headed. In my 2002 TM, the plastic wheel well liner was screwed to the floor inside the TM. Would it be possible to take a strip of 1x2 and build a rim around the opening? Screw the 1x2 rim to the floor, and the plastic liner to the top of the rim. This would raise the liner by almost an inch, and prevent scuffing as the tire moves up and down.

Of course it does nothing if your tire is scuffing on the sides of the opening, as opposed to the underside of the wheelwell liner. But I don't think that is an issue. Wasn't for me, at any rate.

I never tried this, but I always wondered. Seems easy. A little paint on the 1x2, a little caulk, and it should be resistant to road grime.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote