View Single Post
Old 02-20-2015, 09:30 AM   #12
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramlover View Post
Question is weather to use a WDH that we own or not? I read on here that the WDH should not be used with trucks due to weight of truck being shifted to the TM axle which may cause tire blow outs...
Despite what has been said or implied here, a WDH does not transfer any truck weight to the TM. What a WDH does is move some of the TM hitch weight - already included in the TM numbers - to the TM axle, and some more of the hitch weight to the front axle of the truck.

In theoretical discussions, a WDH moves 1/3 of the hitch weight to the TM axle, and 1/3 to the truck front axle, leaving the remaining 1/3 on the hitch. So if you have a 450 pound hitch weight, it moves 150 pounds of it to the TM axle and another 150 pounds to the truck front axle. I don't think it ever works out to that nice even 3-way split, but it moves things nicely in that direction.

When it is posted that a WDH moves weight onto the TM axle, what is meant is that without a WDH, the truck rear axle would carry that first 150 pounds, unburdening the TM axle by that amount. And when you use a WDH, it puts that 150 pounds back on the TM axle. But remember that the 150 pounds is already included in the TM gross weight that you mentioned, so it is not an "increase", and it certainly doesn't move truck weight onto the TM axle.

As for sway, a pure WDH has no effect on sway, and will neither increase nor decrease the tendency to sway. You can purchase a WDH with integral sway control, but most of us agree that it is not needed unless you load your TM in a strange manner. (Recent reports suggest that the new 2922 model may be an exception.) For a recent discussion of sway versus weight distribution, see posts 16 and 17 here
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...d.php?p=118414

BTW, I think the Rebel, like most new trucks, has a built-in sway control as part of the built-in brake controller, which makes the question moot.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote