View Single Post
Old 11-18-2002, 12:43 PM   #5
oilspot

Default Re: Balancing TM Wheels

I imagine it is the same concept as balancing car tires...

Without getting everybody all riled up about spin ballancing... I consider myself a tire balancing fanatic (LOL). ;D

I've tried lots of machines and styles of balancing tires, as I tend to be a perfectionist.

After years of searching for the perfect "money is no object" balancing job; I have determined that the operator of the machine has more influence on the balance job, than the machine itself.

The on the car balancing appealed to my perfectionist desires but didn't solve my problems.  On the car balancing seemed to have a limited application where it worked well... and it seemed more or an art than science.

The machine that seems the most idiot proof (at the present time) is the Hunter GSP 9700.  This machine can analyze the tire, the wheel, and the proper alignment of the tire on the wheel (have you ever wondered what the red or yellow dots on a new tire were for?)

But the best balance job I've ever had was done on a regular machine by a very precise technician.  The tires were balanced to the nearest gram!!  It took about 30 minutes per tire.

Fortunately, I'm not as demanding for my trailer as I am with my vehicles.  I watch for odd wear or vibration and let the local store handle the trailer tires.

Just my $0.03, but I love to talk tires!