Thread: I'm in!
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2022, 06:29 PM   #4
Twinkee75

Thanks for the tips, I am sure I will be on here a lot to get info.

I am having Tesla install a brake controller to help with those brakes, but yes, testing is key and safety first!

Regarding the hook ups, I have already been camping with my Tesla at some RV sites in a couple of states. It has a "camp mode" setting. You can make the back end a bed that even a tall person can tolerate for an overnight getaway. Plays a campfire scene on the screen and everything. Ha ha. Nothing is "running" like a gas vehicle so it's quiet as a mouse and will keep the cabin climate controlled while you snooze. A Tesla doesn't utilize any more energy than a 5th wheel would, it is built to detect the current and only draw what is safe, you can even set your charge to a lower amperage to draw less, if needed. A 30 amp site is more than enough to charge as the 50 amp sites can be hard to get on occasion or there is a cost associated due to that being the preferred connection for the larger trailers. Also, you don't keep it plugged in the whole time you are there, just enough to juice it back up where you need it as it will conclude using power based on your settings. It really is a myth that an electric vehicle draws a big gulp of electricity on a 30 or 50 amp hook up. No more than a trailer would while running the air or heat.

I have had lots of questions from the management at the RV sites because it is still a new concept. So far, the issue is thinking one would try to plug in both your vehicle and your trailer at the same time, which I would agree is too much for the infrastructure, unsafe and a unfair draw on power. The sites I have used so far are fine with a one vehicle at a time, per site, as that really is what everyone else has.
Twinkee75 is offline   Reply With Quote