View Single Post
Old 09-10-2021, 02:37 PM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Thanks for the update, Bill. I can't say as I'm surprised. I think the Electra-Magic has a very small customer base, and TM was probably the biggest customer in the U.S. by far, and that's not saying much.

Where to go from here for TM is indeed challenging. Sure, the cassette toilet is a sure-fire way to continue in the TM lineup, but since there are a number of TM customers that prefer to dump everything at the dump station, and they don't want to reinstall a Sealand after buying a new TM, this could be a significant problem for them.

Sure, they could put in a "slinky" hose of sorts going from the toilet to the roof as a vent that would in turn collapse when the roof is folded, but that's not ideal. Plus then there's this slinky hose along the wall in the already small (relatively) bathroom.

Two immediate ideas come to mind:

1) they can make their own recirculating toilet from the ground up. Sure, there are some significant up-front costs to get that started, but it's a simple device. And frankly, there are numerous ways in which the Electra-Magic could be improved, starting with a stronger top on which the seat rests. And with 3D printing now readily available to anyone, building prototypes would be cheap and easy. They could also ask Therford if they'd be willing to sell their molds.

2) They could install a Sealand toilet with the ball flush valve removed, essentially creating a vent just like the Electra-Magic. Maybe put in some sort of flap that covers most of the hole, basically a better version of the vinyl skirt, obscuring the contents of the waste tank and also preventing waste from sloshing up into the bowl while traveling, but leaving part of the hole open to vent. It could be small....1/4", 1/2", etc. Again, with 3D printing, it would be cheap and easy to try various designs.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote