View Single Post
Old 06-02-2019, 06:20 AM   #5
J_Norris
Site Sponsor

We have a pretty simple ball lock as well that doesn’t do much more than deter. We almost never use it except at hotel overnights or when we expect to be away for a while.

You can add some things depending on where and what you’re protecting it from (eg long term unattended storage or short term hotel overnight):
  • We considered adding a wheel lock/wheel clamp on one or both wheels, but instead used log chain lock we already had through the wheel. The chain must be long enough (for us it was an older model of the Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Chain and New York Disc Bike Lock). This was for our hotel night when we were getting our new-to-us TM home. This works better at home or in storage because they’re heavy to be toting around.
  • We intentionally have invited our neighbors to park in a way that blocks our TM in, with the understanding that we’ll let them know if we need to get her out. It always takes us several hours to prep her, and they often need the extra parking space.
  • Lowering the stabilizers means another step a thief would need to go through.
  • Shutting off the connection from the battery to the electric tongue jack – on our model we have a removable crank for raising and lowering, so we’ve shut off the power to the tongue jack when storing in the winter and left the removable crank off. It’s just another step/tool for a thief to have. Depending on how you do it, this could interfere with recharging through solar. For us it means we open up to turn it back on before going on a trip, but we always do that anyway.
  • In the winter time I think our cover for snow protection would be daunting for the thief. It’s certainly daunting for me to get on and off because I don’t have a good system yet 😊.
  • It is nice that ours is 16 years old, so it’s not a prime target… but because it would hurt so much to lose her, I specified on our insurance a value enough to cover replacing her with a slightly newer model.
Tacoma 4-door long-bed
J_Norris is offline   Reply With Quote