View Single Post
Old 03-01-2020, 07:47 PM   #6
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Tent camper is exactly right. There has never been a lift-helper for the shells, although many Forum members have suggested that there should be one, and a couple have suggested ways that the factory could make one. But nothing has ever come of it.

But all is not lost.

The shells are quite heavy - several hundred pounds each. To make it possible to open them by hand, they are counter-balanced by things called torsion bars. Each bar exerts an upward force on the shell, and there are four torsion bars under each shell - one at each corner, more-or-less. The force of the torsion bars supports most of the weight of the shell as you open. And their force is adjustable over a limited (but generally adequate) range. Each torsion bar has an adjustment under the trailer. As Tent Camper suggested, there is a lot of discussion about torsion bar adjustment here on the forum. You will need to join the Forum to find and read these posts. Or you can have a TM dealer do the adjustment.

Bill
Bill, I had seen that video before as well. I don't think it ever was considered seriously as a production item though.

VanIsle, another thing to consider with power is that if there were anything binding as it went up, the power lift might force its way through the bind and break something. As a manual lift, if it binds, you know you're doing something wrong and you go around and look. Usually, binding issues are related to closing shells rather than opening them.

Also, after I fixed my torsion bars (you can search for my threads on this), they are so easy to lift I can do it with one hand easily. If you are unable to lift them, something is wrong or out of adjustment.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote