View Single Post
Old 08-31-2011, 05:09 PM   #7
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesherp View Post
We both just retired and are figuring out how to be on the road and keep in touch also. We just got the small Samsung Galaxy. It is a tablet that has wi-fi. We needed a way to communicate and this seemed to be a good way for us to go. It has GPS. It is only $30 a month and we can check e-mail and do what we need to on line. We don’t use the phone much but I think you can use Skype to do that also. I found this link the other day but have not had time to check it out.

http://androidforums.com/samsung-gal...voice-how.html
We do this in Canada.

The Samsung Galaxy Tablet can link to external Wifi Hotspots, or access the internet on it's own from the 3G cell network (we use Rogers; upto 5GB/mo for $35). When it's on the 3G cell network, you can set it up to be your own Wifi hotspot and use your other computers to access the internet through it.

It also has Google Maps with the built in GPS for navigation, a built in camera, blue-tooth and a bunch of other apps you can download.

It works so well, it's our only source of internet connectivity in Canada. We dropped our ADSL connection soon after we got it.

In the States, we use Verizon's Mifi hotspot primarily because we still have a 2-year contract, and Verizon allows you to suspend operation without payment when we're not down there. Once that expires, I may try to get a Verizon sim card for the Samsung Galaxy Tablet.