View Single Post
Old 10-19-2007, 08:54 AM   #10
Queeniereads

I think it might be important to address safety here. We towed a 3124 with a Mercury Mountaineer equipped with the towing package and all the good sawy equipment, etc. We were especially careful since we had a terrible accident pulling a lightweight travel trailer with another Mountaineer. The TM towed well and we are fine backing into tight places, etc. What we have found out about length of wheelbases since the accidnet led us to beleive that our Mountaineer pulling a 3124 was just too close to the wheelbase margin, and had we had a longer wheelbase in the accidnet, we might not have almost died in that accident. Now, we were lucky or being watched over in 2004, but we are no longer willing to push limits. So, we are temporarily not towing until we can get a pick-up with sufficient wheelbase length. I think what we learned was that you have to be prepared for the emergency. 99% of the time you will be fine, but what about the 1%? CHeck out the recommnedations online for these stats and don't necessarily beleive what the dealer tells you. Just my input. Queen