Thread: Leaky roof
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2010, 09:22 AM   #9
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleweed View Post
Clean the area to be caulked real well with alcohol.
I actually prefer to use something like acetone or mineral spirits. Since the purpose of doing this step is to clean the surface, remove residue, etc., you need a solvent, and alcohol is not a particularly good one, especially compared to acetone or mineral spirits. I usually test the solvent on a small non-important area to make sure it doesn't cause problems (like remove paint) before I go all crazy and start applying it everywhere. In this instance, it worked great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Dave,
Getting back to the plastic strips you ordered from the factory with the self-adhesive backing. Do you know if these are the same glossy plastic strips used in the latest TrailManors to cover seams? Did you caulk the sides of the plastic strips as well, or just rely on the self-adhesive backing and tape primer?

I ask because our leaks occurred where caulk had pulled away from the side of the plastic strips. And obviously the glue under the strips wasn't stopping anything.
I don't know if they are the same since I have not seen a new TM in years -- they are the smooth quasi-shiny plastic strips about 1" - 1.5" wide that run down the center of the roof over the seam from the front of the trailer to the back. I don't see them anywhere else on the TM.

No, I did not caulk the sides of the plastic strips. I just glued the underlying metal together, applied the 94 primer, and laid down the plastic strip. It is still down there rock solid.

Perhaps the factory didn't apply the 94 primer.....but they were the ones to tell me about it when I ordered the strips.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote