Thread: Leaky roof
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I had the same exact problem when I first bought our new-to-us 2000 2720SL. I slid a little 3M 5200 under the aluminum to adhere them back together. You can buy 5200 at most boat/marine stores, sold in both a full-sized caulking tube and a smaller toothpaste-like tube. Like all 3M products, it is not cheap.

For the rubber/plastic strip, I pulled the old one entirely off and bought a new one from the factory. Once I received it, I rounded off the corners of both ends to make for a more secure adhesion. The strip had a self adhesive backing, but is designed to be used with a 3M primer for maximum adhesion-- I'm pretty sure it is called 3M 94 Tape Primer. It is not cheap either, nor easy to find -- best to look online. Once the 3M 5200 adhesive fully cured (24 hrs), I spread a little 94 primer with a paint brush, pulled back a few inches of the protective paper from the self-adhesive backing on the back of the plastic strip, and carefully started laying the strip down on the roof. Just do a few inches at a time, removing the protective paper as you go. You only get one shot, so take your time.

The repair has held up without any problems thus far, looking just as good today as the day I repaired it, and that was 3 years ago.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote