Thread: Electrical 3.0
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2022, 07:29 AM   #14
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default A typo? (or a clarification from me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Freswick View Post
Thanks for the information. My battery is not damaged. Will check on this option for my converter. All other issues fixed.
The PD transfer switch is concerned with 120-VAC (from an Inverter versus the grid, or a generator versus the grid). It is a "one or the other, not both" device, and nothing downstream should be aware of the power source.

If you meant to say that you'll look into this option for your inverter, I strongly approve - but that's not what Waverly was talking about. If you really mean to re-wire the Converter in connection with the Transfer switch, that can be used to create a handy and automatic additional feature of great value, which I'm writing this post to highlight for you:

One issue with running a "downstream" converter, with or without a proper transfer switch, is the fact that the converter will try to use any available 120-VAC from to try and charge batteries which have fallen low. In the case of 120-VAC supplied by a battery-powered Inverter, this quickly becomes a death spiral:
  1. The Converter pulls 120-VAC from the Inverter and converts to 12v, losing 5-20% of the input power in that conversion.
  2. The Inverter pulls 12-VDC from the batteries (and the converter!) losing 8-20% in converting to 120-VAC.nverter
  3. Every watt-hour which goes through that 'round trip' is taking 15-40% more power from the battery pack than it returns.

Right now, you have to remember to shut off the converter's breaker (at the WFCO panel) before turning on the Inverter. But, with a transfer switch in place, you could avoid that issue. Simply disconnect the circuit breaker which feeds the Converter from the transfer switch "output", and connect BOTH LEGS ("hot" and "neutral") to the grid input leads - before the transfer switch chooses between power sources.
- - -
It's great to hear that everything you now have is working well. Please add that transfer switch.